Thursday 13 August 2015

blueberry & date oatmeal


Hi everyone,

I have another recipe post for you all today. I decided to become a vegetarian almost 3 weeks ago now. Since then I've been a bit food-obsessed and it has been on my mind quite a bit. Not in a bad way! (I know that sounds unhealthy) I mean that it's on my mind a lot because I'm thinking of new dishes to make. With saying that, every morning I have been having some variation of a smoothie bowl or oatmeal.

Since I've already done a smoothie bowl recipe, I thought I write an oatmeal recipe today. I always make my oatmeal the same -- with almond milk and a bit of sugar. So, even if you don't use these exact toppings, know that this ratio of almond milk and oats always works.
A few days ago, I tried using blueberries and dates to top my oatmeal. I thought it was going to be a weird flavour because the dates, but it actually just made me want to experiment more with them. So, expect some more date recipes in the future!

(I also uploaded this picture to instagram)


Date & Blueberry Oatmeal
Ingredients
1/2 cup oats
1 cup almond milk
1tsp brown sugar
dates
blueberries
honey or agave nectar (agave nectar is vegan)

Method
Combine oats and almond milk in a pot over high heat because you're impatient and want food now. Walk away and forget about it until it's all burn and stuck to the bottom. Swear. Hope mum doesn't walk in. Quickly clean the pot before she questions anything.
Then start it the proper way; combining oats and milk over low/medium heat. Once it's all mixed, reduce heat and add 1tsp brown sugar or 1tbsp cocoa powder if you want a more chocolatey taste. Then just put the oatmeal in a bowl and place the fruit (and drizzle the honey) on top.

8 comments

  1. Mmmm! This looks so tasty. I rarely eat dates but it'd be awesome with oatmeal. :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't eat them often either, but I hear they are really healthy for you!

      Delete
  2. Oh my god I haven't had porridge/oatmeal for ages, I'm definitely going to have some tomorrow morning! Well maybe, I had a huge meal and feel like I'll still be full by tomorrow, but either way you've inspired me. I really want what you've made but I don't have any dates or blueberries, but when I do I want to try this out!x
    libbyjade26.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I've never inspired anyone before -- even if it is in making oatmeal!!

      Delete
  3. Blueberries and oats are seriously amazing together! Wooohoo on being veggie!

    http://rainbow-roseblossom.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Eating vegetarian bas been really easy, I don't know why I never made the switch sooner. Raw vegan next? Haha

      Delete

© a sweet destination. Design by Fearne.