Saturday, 2 January 2016

My Vegetarian Story (and being Vegetarian over the Holidays)


Hi everyone!

So, Christmas and New Year's are out the way, and lets just say: a LOT of food was ate in my house. Obviously. The holidays are for eating.

This was my first Christmas that I didn't eat meat. It really wasn't that difficult. I'm lucky to have a family that silently judge instead of force me to eat beef gravy or turkey. It helped that I made some of the dinner, too, so I could make sure there wasn't bacon being sneaked in anywhere.

I have been a full vegetarian since Summer 2015, but I've went through phases my whole life, really.
I have never ate red meat or pork as habit because I really don't like the taste (and also my mum was a vegetarian until I was about 13 so we never had it in the house).
I have tried it most of it before (mainly pork and fish) but I could probably count on one hand how many times I've ate red meat in my life.

It's never been an issue avoiding red meat, but I did eat fish and poultry sometimes.
Even though I ate them, it wasn't like I relied on them for my every meal. My situation was actually a pretty perfect setting. I thought it would be no issue exchanging salmon for beans.

My most liked instagram pictures
are very fitting for this post
My sister Orla decided to go vegetarian at the same time as me, and it has been really nice to have that support between us. She's a little more stricter than me, because she has completely cut out dairy as well. Not that I eat dairy often (I use almond milk and eat different yogurts without dairy) but I do like things like chocolate and cheese pizza. However, Orla still eats eggs, whereas I have stopped eating them.

It's been good. Eating out is still a bit annoying since places don't always offer vegetarian meals that don't include tofu or soy of some sort. I have just been sticking to salads -- which surprisingly can cost a lot of money!! $13 for a Caesar salad? You gotta be kidding me... but that's a different post.

Well, I wanted to share a bit of my progress with being vegetarian and all. I need to meet more vegans/vegetarians. I think it would be easier with a bigger network of people to talk to about it. I don't see myself eating meat anytime soon. I may even go the same way as my sister and cut out dairy, but maybe I'll get used to just vegetarian first.


5 comments

  1. I became vegetarian this summer too! What a coincidence :-) Great blog!

    moremindfulyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! We should share tips, haha. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. I don't eat vegetable ever since and I really really want to be a vegetarian, but it's just hard. Any tips? Anyway, great blog post.
    Love, Fads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow, it can seem difficult. A typical day for me would consist of oatmeal for breakfast, a pasta dish or bean salad for lunch and then a stir fry with veggies for dinner. I eat a lot of carbs like potatoes, rice and beans. These tend to be relatively cheap and easy for beginners to work with! Once you go further on you'll figure out and find more substitutes for meat and maybe even dairy. Maybe I should think a bit more and make a post about it!

      Delete
    2. You definitely should. I'll wait for it.

      Delete

© A Sweet Destination. Design by Fearne.